Fisheries Indigenous Cadetship
Torres Strait Regional Authority
APS Level 1 - $42,334 - $46,790
Ongoing, Non-ongoing (Temporary), Full-time, Part-time
Thursday Island - QLD
Closing date: Tuesday, 31 October 2017
97 days to apply
The Torres Strait Regional Authority’s (TSRA) Fisheries Programme is offering an Indigenous Cadetship Support (ICS) position to support a student through their university study. Relevant fields of study include marine science, natural resource management, fisheries policy or another fisheries management related field.
The Indigenous Cadetship Support Programme is a career development programme, which enables students undertaking an undergraduate degree to gain the professional qualifications and work experience needed for a range of jobs in the Australian Public Service.
To be eligible for this position you must:
• be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
• identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
• be accepted as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander in the Torres Strait community in which he/she lives, or has lived
• be enrolled for full-time study occurring on-campus at a university located in Australia
• be enrolled in your first undergraduate degree course in a relevant field of study with a minimum of two semesters (12 months) remaining
• commit to relocate during mid-year and/or end-of-year university breaks for completion of the minimum 12 weeks paid work experience per year
• maintain satisfactory academic results and satisfactory progress with your course of study and cadetship.
A student may not be eligible for a Cadetship if he or she:
• has previously completed, resigned from or was terminated from an ICS position
• is in his or her final year of study at the time of applying for the Cadetship
• will be seeking to defer any part of his or her study during the Cadetship
This position is open to a full-time student and includes:
• study allowance of $6,000 each semester (maximum of $12,000 per year)
• book and equipment allowance of $500 each semester (maximum of $1,000 per year)
• minimum of 12 weeks paid work experience each year at the APS 1 level at the TSRA main office located on Thursday Island
• travel and accommodation costs associated with the work experience
• mentoring for future professional employment in the Australian Public Service
• opportunity for full-time employment with the TSRA Fisheries Programme on successful completion of your degree and cadetship.
Non-ongoing opportunity will be offered for a specified term
Non-ongoing opportunity for a period of 12 months with the possibility of an extension.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.