2019 Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program
Graduate APS -
Various locations in the ACT - ACT; Various locations in NSW - NSW; Various locations in VIC - VIC; Various locations in QLD - QLD; Various locations in SA - SA
Closing date: Monday, 4 June 2018
14 days to apply
The Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program is a pathway for Indigenous graduates to enter the Australian Government. Positions are available in up to 30 Australian Public Service and Commonwealth agencies for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people who have, or will have, completed an undergraduate degree or higher by January 2019.
Each agency is responsible for a different aspect of Australian life, from education, health and community services to defence, immigration and infrastructure. Whichever agency you choose, there are opportunities to undertake challenging work and make a meaningful contribution to the Australian community.
As a graduate you will get hands-on experience along with formal development opportunities tailored to build your skills. This will give you a professional advantage in the increasingly competitive workforce, wherever your career may take you.
Typically, graduates undertake a structured program over 12 to 24 months which comprises:
• work rotations designed to expose you to business areas across the agency
• opportunities to undertake a diverse range of real work
• on the job and formal training to help you establish your professional grounding
• opportunities to build professional networks
While the large majority of positions are located in Canberra, there are limited positions available in State capitals and regional centres as well.
To be eligible, you must be:
• Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander: As per subsection 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 these positions constitute an affirmative measure are restricted to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
• A university graduate: You must have completed, at minimum, an undergraduate degree at AQF level 7 between January 2014 and January 2019. Certificates, diplomas or any other non-tertiary courses of study are insufficient.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are only required to provide:
• your current resume
• confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage
• your academic transcript
Please note that the salary you receive will be in accordance with the employment framework and remuneration policy of your employing agency.
It is the role of the Indigenous Capability Team within the APSC to coordinate and administer the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program process on behalf of participating public sector agencies. For a list of participating agencies, please visit the Indigenous Careers Portal at http://indigenouscareers.gov.au/join-us/step-into-your-government-career/graduate-programs
Information on privacy and how your information will be used can be found at
Note that your personal information will be disclosed to agencies and organisations that participate in the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program. This may include both Australian Public Service agencies and other public sector bodies.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information see: http://www.apsc.gov.au/priorities/disability/recruitability.