Indigenous Merit Register - Policy Advisor
Department of Jobs and Small Business
APS Level 6, Executive Level 1 - $85,106 - $115,661
Ongoing, Non-ongoing (Temporary), Full-time
Canberra - ACT; Newcastle - NSW; Orange - NSW; Sydney - NSW; Darwin - NT; Adelaide - SA
Closing date: Monday, 9 July 2018
15 days to apply
At the Department of Jobs and Small Business we are committed to growing our talented and versatile Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander workforce in a wide range of roles from trainees to senior executives. The Indigenous Merit Register will provide the Department with a pool of skilled candidates to fill vacancies quickly as they arise. Jobs at the Department are usually based in Canberra, with the possibility of filling vacancies across Australia.
You may be required to:
• Assist with the development of advice and policy proposals related to the Department’s employment, Workplace Relations or Small Business areas of policy.
• Prepare complex and/or sensitive correspondence and corporate documentation, reports, submissions, proposals and briefings as required.
• Conduct research and analysis of domestic and international (International Labour Organisation & Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development place-based programs and their outcomes.
• Engage and collaborate with key stakeholders on a range of policy issues.
• Liaise with a range of internal and external stakeholders to achieve policy outcomes.
Please note, under section 22(8) of the Public Service Act 1999, employees must be Australian citizens to be employed in the APS unless the Agency delegate has agreed, in writing.
This is a designated security assessed position. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a Baseline security assessment at the level.
Affirmative measure – Indigenous employment
We are proud of the strong culture we have built, one that values inclusiveness and equal opportunity and we embrace the benefits of flexibility in our workplace. We are committed to achieving reconciliation between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the wider Australian community by supporting the recruitment, retention and career development of our Indigenous employees.
This position is only open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. This is consistent with Section 26 of the Australian Public Service Commissioner’s Directions 2016.
Non-ongoing opportunity will be offered for a specified term
The selection process will be used to establish the department’s Indigenous Merit Register that will be used to fill ongoing and non-ongoing positions within 12 months to meet business needs.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.