2019 Directions Program Traineeship
Australian Federal Police
- $53,969 - $62,703
Barton - ACT
Closing date: Wednesday, 12 December 2018
0 days to apply
Policing for a safer Australia - the world is changing, crime is changing, we are changing to meet new challenges.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified people who are interested in an appointment to the AFP. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to the core values of the AFP, and their application must address selection criteria and the relevant work level standards.
Applications must be lodged by 11:59pm (AEDT) 05/12/2018 .
JOB TITLE - 2019 Directions Program Traineeship
Location - ACT
AFP Band 2, $53,969.00 - $62,703.00
VACANCY REFERENCE NUMBER 373
This opportunity is available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians only and constitutes an affirmative measure under the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. AFP appointees contribute to the achievement of outcomes in accordance with the regulatory framework, the AFP Code of Conduct and the AFP Governance Instruments. It is expected that the successful applicant will deliver on the core responsibilities and meet any requirements of the position as outlined below.
Role Description & Responsibilities
The Directions Program Traineeship is a full time employment and career development program, for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians delivered in Canberra over 12 months providing participants with professional development opportunities to undertake a career in the AFP.
The Traineeship provides you with:
• exposure to the diverse range of business areas within the AFP.
• accredited training at a Certificate IV level.
• the opportunity to work with, and learn from, people with diverse backgrounds, experience and skills.
• ongoing employment upon successful completion of the program.
We are looking for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Australians who:
• are interested in working for the AFP.
• have effective communication skills.
• can work well as part of a team.
• have personal drive, integrity and a strong work ethic.
Please note: formal qualifications are not required for this opportunity.
• Negative Vetting 1 (Secret) clearance or the ability to obtain one
• Applying technical knowledge, expertise, and skills.
• Communicating and working effectively with other people.
• Organising your work, making sound decisions and achieving outcomes
Required Application Documents
As part of your application you will be required to submit the following documents:
• Two page pitch addressing the Selection Criteria
• Documentation to confirm Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage
• Documentation to confirm Australian Citizenship
• Completion of an Employment Suitability Questionnaire
• Traffic History
Please ensure that all documents are uploaded as required in the application form, the documentation to confirm descent should be uploaded with your Australian Citizenship documentation.
For further information on the AFP Directions Program Traineeship please go to our webpage at https://www.afp.gov.au/careers/directions-program-traineeship
Contact Officer: Directions Team , AFP-Entry-Level-Programs@afp.gov.au
Application Preliminary step:
It is strongly recommended that you take action now to obtain a copy or copies of your driving history through the relevant local motor registry or road traffic authority.
• applicants must complete and submit an online application;
• resumes and any other required documents are to be uploaded to the application form and submitted before the closing date and time. Any documents not supplied may result in your application being withdrawn from the recruitment process.
• Two page pitch (if required) - your two page pitch should address the selection criteria and work level standards relevant to the role and provide evidence as to why you are the best fit for the position. The work level standards are specific to the band level of the role you are applying for and can assist in guiding you to address the selection criteria to the level required of the role.
To be eligible you must provide documentation to confirm you are:
• of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian descent
• a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of application
• an Australian citizen.
You must be willing to:
• move to Canberra
• pass an employee suitability questionnaire
• provide fingerprint samples and undertake drug testing
AFP Employment Suitability Questionnaire (ESQ):
The ESQ is the tool in which applicant’s character is assessed against the employment character standards. All applicants who are not currently an AFP employee are required to upload a completed ESQ for every application.
More information about the ESQ can be found on the AFP’s Employment Character Standards webpage.
Providing your traffic history is mandatory. All applicants who are not currently an AFP employee must upload an up to date traffic history (no more than 90 days old) for the last 10 years, from all states and countries where they have held a licence.
More information on the documents required and how you can obtain your traffic history can be found on the traffic history page on the AFP careers webpage.
For further information on positions, and other employment opportunities in the AFP, please visit our website or ring the contact officer.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.