Graduate Program FAQ
When is the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program open for applications?
The Australian Public Service Commission recruits annually for the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program. Applications are usually open for several months from early January to late March.
Applications for the 2018 program closed on Monday 10 April 2017. If you are an Indigenous graduate seeking employment with the Australian Public Service (APS) during 2018, search the Current Vacancies page for agencies which may still be recruiting for their individual graduate development programs.
Don't forget, you will remain eligible for our program for up to five years after graduating from your university degree. Keep your eye on the Indigenous Careers portal early next year to find out when applications open for the 2019 program.
What is the Australian Government?
The Australian Government provides information, services and support across all elements of Australian society. It is made up of a range of APS and Commonwealth agencies, each responsible for a different aspect of Australian life. The APS consists of a large number of organisations, which focus on specific areas like communication, defence, finance, environment, education and training, health and community services, employment, immigration, infrastructure and so on. Other Commonwealth agencies contribute in areas including broadcasting, policing, research and industry.
Why work for the Australian Government?
Wherever you work in the Australian Government you will find opportunities to undertake a wide range of challenging work and to make a major contribution to the Australian public. As one of Australia's largest employers, we offer:
- diverse, flexible and inclusive workplaces in locations across Australia, with many opportunities in Canberra at the heart of government
- good working conditions, with attractive remuneration and employer superannuation contributions
- challenging and varied work across a range of fields, with learning opportunities and networking available for career development
- an opportunity to apply your professional expertise and pursue your interests while contributing to the Australian community.
How is the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program different from agency graduate development programs?
The Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program is simply a centralised recruitment program for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander graduates. The Australian Public Service Commission conducts the marketing, applications, shortlisting and assessment process on behalf of a large number of Australian Government employers.
Since 2005, we have worked with a number of participating Australian Government agencies to recruit over 1,100 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people into the APS through various entry level programs. Our team have years of experience in providing excellent candidate care and help you through every step of the process.
If you are recruited through this Program, you will commence with your employing agency and participate in the same agency-specific program as the graduates recruited through their direct graduate intake. You will also receive the salary and conditions outlined by the employment framework of your employing agency.
Can I still apply directly to individual agency graduate programs?
Yes. We strongly encourage all eligible applicants to apply for as many graduate opportunities as possible. Applying for the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program increases your profile, and the likelihood of your application being considered by employing agencies.
Am I eligible?
The Program is for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander university graduates. To be eligible, you must be:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person: As per subsection 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 these positions are restricted to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
- A university graduate: You must have completed, at minimum, a three-year undergraduate degree at AQF level 7 or above in the last five years prior to January of the year of intake. Certificates, diplomas or any other non-tertiary courses of study are insufficient.
You will need to provide documented evidence of both of these criteria in your application.
How do I confirm I am of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent?
When completing your application, you must attach evidence to confirm that you are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander otherwise your application will not be accepted.
Acceptable evidence includes:
- a letter signed by the Chairperson of an incorporated Indigenous organisation confirming that you are recognised as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, or
- a confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent form executed by an Indigenous organisation.
What if I don't have a confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage document?
If you do not have the required evidence prior to applications closing, you can still submit an application. Simply attach a letter or email which outlines the steps you are taking to source your documentation. Note that you will have to provide documented evidence prior to being offered a position.
If you are having trouble getting a confirmation, there are a number of resources to assist you:
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation
Can I apply for the Australian Government Indigenous Graduate Program if I have applied before?
You can reapply as long as you are still eligible. You will remain eligible for up to five years after graduating from your university degree.
Will late applications be accepted?
Late applications will not be accepted. Contact us before applications close if you are having any problems getting your application completed.
What if I have a question that isn't answered here?
If you would like to know more about the Australian Public Service Commission's Indigenous Graduate Recruitment Program, please contact the Indigenous Capability Team on 1300 656 009 or email@example.com.